There is no bit of Jalisco heaven more traditional than the drowned cake.
I recently remembered how wonderful Jalisco is, that place where I met my grandfather. So many beauties are concentrated there: incredible landscapes, tequila, mariachi, and its delicious cuisine, it is special, the drowned cake.
There is probably no more traditional piece of Jalisco heaven than the drowned cake. As mariachis would say: Aaaa aaay aaaayyy! Delicious!
So today I will reveal my secret of the drowned cake recipe. Therefore, you will not have to take a long trip to try this typical Jalisco food.
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Serves You For: 10 Cakes
- 10 bobbins or pins
- 1 kg of pork meat (loin or leg)
- 1 can of refried beans
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1/2 kg of tomato chopped
- 2 teeth of
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to taste
For the hot sauce:
- 100 grams of chile de arbol
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- Salt to taste
1. First, you must put the meat to cook. It is perhaps the most time-consuming procedure; however, at the end it will be worth it. Season with a pinch of pepper, a clove of garlic, half an onion and salt to taste. I tell you that my little secret is to put two bay leaves on it, this element will give it an authentic Mexican flavor.
2. Once it is well cooked, you must carefully shred all the meat into small pieces.
3. The recipe for drowned cakes is always accompanied by two sauces, one tomato and the other spicy. The order of the factors does not alter the product, but I usually start with the tomato sauce, at least that's how my mother taught me. For this first sauce you have to cook the tomatoes together with the water, onion, garlic, oregano, bay leaf and salt to taste. Let this mixture cool a bit. Then blend until you get a thick consistency.
4. On the other hand, for the second sauce, the hot sauce, cook the chilies. Once they are ready, open them in half and remove the veins and seeds. This will decrease the itchiness. Although if you are very brave, leave the veins and seeds. I don't recommend it very much; however, it is at your own risk! Finally, blend together with the water, vinegar and salt.
5. Now the good is coming. Let's prepare the cakes! Open the bobbins very carefully in half, with a serrated knife and starting from the middle. For this typical Jalisco food, the traditional bolillitos are the birotes, which are a little longer. But if your locality does not sell this type of bread, you can replace them with rolls.
6. Spread the beans on the bread and add the shredded carnita.
7. The magic in the recipe for drowned cakes are the sauces. Here the order does influence, so be careful. When serving, dip the cakes in the tomato sauce. The more soaked the cakes are, the better! Place them in a deep plate and bathe them with the spicy sauce.
This dish is accompanied with some onion and lemon rings. Do not forget this detail and, enjoy this delicacy!
An ancient, delicious and super practical recipe for snacking: Click here to read: Exquisite Mexican Tartar Meat Recipe