There are many types of wings, but none are as Mexican as these.
Today there are wings everywhere, in all shapes and flavors. But none compare to those of my time. I remember that my grandfather used to prepare some delicious wings on his ranch. They had a rich spicy flavor and the carnita was so sauvecita that I couldn't stop eating them.
This is why I will now give you my best recipe for chicken wings, traditionally Mexican. Plus, they have a bit of liquor, a tasty honey whiskey sauce!
Serves For: 4 Medium Dishes
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 kilo of chicken wings
- A pinch of Chinese spices (Szechuan pepper, cinnamon, cloves and fennel seeds) to taste
- 2 teaspoons tarragon
- 1 cup of whiskey
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 onion
- Olive oil
- 6 tomatoes
Preparation of the Whiskey Sauce with Honey
- Before starting with the chicken wings recipe, you have to have the whiskey sauce with honey ready. First you have to cut all the tomatoes into small pieces. Make sure to remove all the seeds. This will allow the sauce not to be so acidic.
- Then, simmer the tomatoes together with the finely divided onion. Wait until the onion is a little golden brown.
- Mash with a potato masher or fork until everything is well incorporated. Another option to grind it is to use a blender for a few seconds.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add the tarragon, honey and a mixture of Chinese spices. These spices are usually sold in a single package (Szechuan pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and fennel seeds). But it will depend on each brand, the predominant spice. All these spices are sweet and will give a super special flavor to the skin of the wings. My trick is to let tarragon, the traditional Mexican spice, along with honey, be the stars of the dish.
- Lastly, add the whiskey and let it evaporate almost completely. You can put a little more than one cup, everything will depend on your taste. Consider that the spices that you previously put will already give it a sweet taste. There are some whiskeys that are too sweet or fruity, so look for one that says Blended Scotch on the label, this type of whiskey will give a smoky flavor to the dish and not as intense or sweet as perhaps a bourbon, in the style of Jack Daniel's.
Preparation of fried wings
- Besides, heat a casserole over low heat with virgin olive oil. Carefully place each wing in the pan and brown over high heat, on both sides. If you want them fried, consider that the wings will give off a little fat of their own, so you don't need to add too much oil.
- Season with a little salt and a pinch of tarragon. In this way the spice will be the real star of the dish. I love that flavor! On the other hand, if you prefer the taste of Chinese spices, you can opt for them in this step.
- In the end you just have to add the whiskey sauce with honey to the wings. Make sure they are all well covered so that in each bite you can savor the mixture of honey and spices.
You can accompany them with fresh vegetables to compensate for the fat in the wings. You can give the grandchildren to try, but only a little! Because although they taste super sweet and delicious, they do not stop having a little liquor. Remember that everything with measure is better.
Pay attention! Granny is going to show you how to make them crunchy: Homemade BBQ Potatoes: Perfect For Your Little Craving